Kawasaki Disease Foundation FAQ’S
- I need financial assistance to cover medical expenses related to a KD diagnosis, can the Foundation help?
Unfortunately, the Kawasaki Disease Foundation does not provide financial assistance to individuals. The Foundation’s mission to support families is accomplished via our KDF Bridges program that provides emotional support to families affected by the disease. To request support, please visit the KDF Bridges information page, or click here.
- I have a question about my child’s medical care or history. Can the Foundation provide advice?
The KD Foundation is not a medical organization and is not able to give medical advice. We would encourage you to reach out to your child’s physician and medical team with any questions relating to your child’s health.
The most frequently asked questions about the disease can be found by clicking here. Additionally, the Foundation’s “Ask the KD Experts” section provides answers from medical professionals to common questions asked by parents. Visit the “Ask the KD Experts” page by clicking here.
- Is there a connection between carpet cleaning chemicals and Kawasaki disease?
Researchers have concluded that there is no link between carpet cleaning chemicals and KD. This was a theory that was developed in the 1980’s and promoted widely when John Travolta’s son was diagnosed with the disease. However, researchers have dismissed all claims of any connection between the two, and they continue to study the disease to find the cause.
- How can I get involved with the Kawasaki Disease Foundation?
The Kawasaki Disease Foundation is supported entirely by donations and volunteers, your time and efforts are greatly appreciated and needed. To get involved with the Foundation, please visit the “Take Action” page.
We offer a variety of opportunities for anyone to become involved with the Foundation. Interested individuals can:
- Host a fundraiser or awareness event
- Fundraise online
- Join our annual Kawasaki Disease Awareness Challenge (KDAC)
- Join our National Kawasaki Disease Awareness Day online campaign
- Attend a KDF Sponsored event
- Join a KDF committee
- Make a donation
- Distribute KD symptoms posters
- Volunteer with the Bridges program
& many other opportunities